Rolleston College Board of Trustees Enrolment Scheme
In terms of the Education Act 1989 , section 11H(1), the Ministry of Education has identified that overcrowding is likely at Rolleston College. The Board of Trustees recognises the need to manage the school roll having regard to the goals set out in the School’s Charter. The Board is therefore proceeding to implement an enrolment scheme to ensure that it serve the needs of local students and to provide quality education.
- To ensure that there are places for children who have Rolleston College as their closest secondary school.
- To ensure that others who apply for places in the school are treated fairly.
Automatic right of attendance for students living in the home zone described below:
Students whose usual place of residence is within the following geographical zone:
Both sides of the road apply unless otherwise stated.
- From intersection of Robinsons Road and Main South Road,
- South on Robinson Road to Bellam Road,
- South on Bellam Road to Larcombs Road,
- West on Larcombs Road to Main South Road (including Paige Place),
- West on Main South Road to Weedons Road,
- South on Weedons Road to Selwyn Road (including Braemoor Lane and Glenbogle Drive),
- West on Selwyn Road to intersection of Selwyn and Ellesmere Junction Roads
- West on Ellesmere Junction Road to Brookside Road,
- South on Brookside Road to Corbetts Road,
- South on Corbetts Road to Brookside & Burnham Road,
- West on Brookside & Burnham Road to the Selwyn River,
- West along the Selwyn River to the Main South Road,
- North east along Main South Road to Telegraph Road,
- North along Telegraph Road to Two Chain Road,
- East on Two Chain Road (then along paper road) to Aylesbury Road,
- North on Aylesbury Road to Wards Road,
- East on Wards Road to Sandy Knolls Road,
- North on Sandy Knolls Road to Hoskyns Road (including Railway Road to number 636),
- West on Hoskyns Road to Hayes Road (including 923 Hoskyns Road),
- North on Hayes Road to Painters Road,
- South east on Painters Road to Calders Road,
- North on Calders Road to Old West Coast Road (including Fyffe Road and Halkett Road to 838 Halkett Road),
- West on Old West Coast Road to Hendersons Road,
- North on Henderson Road,
- From the end of Henderson Road to the Waimakariri River,
- East along the southern bank of the Waimakariri River to 970 Mcleans Island Road,
- From 970 Mcleans Island Road south on Chattertons Road to Dawsons Road,
- South on Dawsons Road to Main South Road,
- West on Main South Road to Robinsons Road
The student’s usual place of residence must be within the home zone. The Board will require proof of residency within the home zone.
Section11E of the Education Act 1989 states that “a state school’s home zone must be defined by geographic boundaries, and must be described in such a way that any given address is either within or outside the home zone.” The list above is defining a location as “in-zone”.
Rolleston College will not be accepting out of zone enrolments at this stage
Appropriate maps outlining the school home zone will be available at the school, on the school website and on the Ministry of Education school search site http://nzschools.tki.org.nz/ to give guidance in identifying Rolleston College’s geographical zone.
The Board will assist the Principal to monitor roll trends and enrolments to ensure that the application of the scheme is consistent and fair to all.
The Board expects that parents / caregivers will act within the spirit intended by this policy.
The Board reserves the right to review, amend, suspend or abandon this policy subject to the Education Amendment Act (No2) 1998 Sections 11J and 11K.
The decisions made by the Board and Principal with respect to applications for enrolment and using the criteria outlined above will be final.