International Student Services Team
We understand that learning to live in a new place away from your familiar surroundings, family and friends can be difficult at first. But rest assured our International Student Services Team working alongside our teaching staff are here to ensure our International Learners receive the best care!
At orientation, each International student is placed in a Whanau (House) and assigned a dedicated Ako (Learning) Coach who will guide and monitor learner wellbeing and academic progress throughout their journey here at Rolleston College.
While our Coordinator, together with our Director of International Learners are available to host and or organise school tours. Or answer questions regarding our enrolment process, visa applications, health, wellbeing, budgeting, and or accommodation arrangements. Our Director of International Learners deals explicitly with all Agent and guardianship queries and concerns. This is all done under the watchful eye of our Learning Leaders, Senior Leadership Team and our Principal.
If you wish to enrol as an International Student, please contact our office staff for an International Student Pack or use the links provided to view the Rolleston College Prospectus or download our International Learner Application Pack.
Alternatively, you can contact the school office to make a time to meet with our International Director and be given a tour of the school. At this time you will have an opportunity to view our facilities and discuss our English language programmes with our experienced staff.
We look forward to welcoming you to Rolleston College and don’t forget you can contact us in the following ways.
Visa and Eligibility to Study in New Zealand
A student who is not a New Zealand citizen is treated either as a domestic student or an international student depending on the documents they hold, giving them the right to reside and be taught in New Zealand. Although students may be from overseas, they may have the same eligibility as an NZ citizen, and they may be classed as a domestic student.
Domestic students (permanent) have ongoing entitlement to state-funded education at a state school. Domestic (permanent) students include those students who are New Zealand citizens or New Zealand residents; Australian citizens or Australian residents.
Domestic students (time-bound) are generally students from overseas who hold a current student visa with conditions. While the visa does not name the school, they are entitled to enrol in New Zealand schools as domestic students for a finite period of time. While almost all domestic (time-bound) students will hold a domestic student visa, some students will have other documents such as an interim visa which extends the time period of their previous visa.
Students who are not domestic students are, by default, International students and must be enrolled if they are attending school for more than two weeks, at schools that are signatories to the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 (including Amendments 2019). In these instances, they may hold a visitor visa or a student visa that names the school.
For more details, and information refer to the Ministry of Education Website (Education Counts: Appendix D), the government’s Study in New Zealand Website or explore NZ visa options on the Immigration Website.
International Student Tuition Fees
International fees differ depending on the duration of your study and stay as well as your course selection; however, the fees table will give you an idea of cost.
Additional costs not included and may need purchasing prior to and or throughout the year include…
- School Uniform. Rolleston College Learners have a range of uniform options to choose from which are available for purchase online or via the NZ Uniform Shop based in Christchurch. Approx cost $500 to $900 NZD.
- Selected Course Fees are additional and subject to course selection.
- Stationery, writing materials, calculators and subject workbooks. We suggest putting aside approx $200 to $300 per year.
- Extra-Curricular Activities and Trips. There will be a variety of extracurricular trips and activities available throughout the year. Subject to learner preference and selection we suggest putting aside approx $200 to $300 NZD per year.
- School Bus Pass. Depending on the location of your Homestay Caregiver you may be required to purchase a school bus pass to get to and from school and or around Christchurch. Approx cost $800 per year.
- Learner Laptop. Rolleston College maintains a comprehensive ICT infrastructure, including an extensive school Wi-Fi network. To utilise this fully we encourage all learners to Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) allowing them to integrate their learning both inside and outside of school. You can find further information about this on our College Flyer – Choosing the right device for your child. Approx cost $500 to $1,000 NZD.
- Holiday Programmes or After School Costs. In New Zealand, it is illegal to leave children under 14 on their own without taking reasonable steps for their care and supervision. There will be times where you will need to arrange alternative care arrangements (holiday programmes) at the full cost and expense of the International Learners parents.
In all cases, international students in New Zealand must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance covering the students’ travel to and from their country of origin or citizenship before their educational instruction begins and after it ends. This can be arranged through your Agent or Rolleston College at an International Learner parent’s expense.
Southern Cross is Rolleston College’s preferred International Student Travel Insurance provider. Their package covers medical and evacuation, changes to your journey, personal accident, personal liability, rental vehicle excess, cash and travel documents, and baggage and personal items. Existing conditions are not covered so please read the terms and conditions carefully. For more information, please refer to the Southern Cross’s Travel Insurance Brochure available through the College at $720.00 per annum. The Brochure is also available in other languages including Chinese, Japanese, Korea and Spanish.