- School Visits
- Our Community
- Learner Information
- About Us
Specifications of suitable devices for these classes:
– Wireless capable – 802.11a/n Wifi (which indicates a 5GHz capable wireless card) as this gives the right speed and volume for the school network. Lesser wireless speeds can slow everyone down!
– A screen large enough to work with documents in order to create and edit content. You might want to consider as a minimum 10″. (anything smaller, including a smartphone, may be too small and not suitable for use in every lesson).
– Long battery life. Please be aware that large screen laptops often have quite short battery life and are also very heavy to carry around.
· Weight – this will need to be carried around school with other stationery, PE gear & lunch
· Robustness – sturdy enough for school use to survive a fall onto a hard surface.
· Warranty – students using the device regularly will want faults fixed quickly
· Insurance – make sure you are covered for replacement if lost or stolen
· Headphone/earphone jack (with some earphones to go in the jack – they do not have to be expensive).
No specialist software is required. Where the use of specialist software is a course requirement it will generally be provided on a cabled PC by the school. All learners have free access to Google Apps for Education (GAFE) – that is Google docs, sheets, presentations, forms – by using their school email account (which is also a Google account). They also have access to free online storage via Google Drive.
Security and Damages
Responsibility to keep the device secure rests with the individual owner. Rolleston College, nor its staff or employees, is not liable for any device stolen or damaged on campus. It is recommended that skins (decals) and other custom touches are used to physically identify your device from others. Additionally, protective cases for technology are encouraged.
Anti-virus and anti-spyware software is essential to protect the data on the device, and prevent the device being used to spread this malware to other devices at home or at school.